Translate

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Where am I?

I'm sorry I haven't been posting to my blog lately. Its been kind of a discouraging week so far and every time I've wanted to sew/quilt, something has come up to keep me from it! I am hoping to sew most of the day tomorrow.

I haven't even settled on a string quilt project for this week yet so I am definitely going to have to get creative to start and finish something before Sunday. I have several projects in the works but they will all take some time (maybe weeks!) to finish.

I do have a few pictures to share of another log cabin doll quilt I recently made for Kathleen Tracy's Prairie Children Quilt challenge.

Shortly after I decided to make the log cabin doll quilt, I saw the full size quilt on the right in an antique mall. I really liked the colors and the quirky layouts the maker used!

I decided to try to follow her layout and colors. I also hand quilted each log down the center as she did. I don't think my quilt (left) has the same charm as hers but I still like it very much!

Its made entirely from Jo Morton reproduction fabrics and the logs are only one inch finished. Click on the photo for a better look at the fabrics if you'd like.

I wonder what the maker of the antique quilt was like. Why did she try so many different color and quilt layouts? Do you think she was strong and confident with her layout or is this a utility quilt she was practising on?

Years from now, will someone find my log cabin doll quilt and wonder about me? Most of all, I wonder what conclusions they will draw!

7 comments:

GerryART said...

Oh, my, Mayleen,
What a wonderful job you did on this quilt.
Lots of work, lots of hours.

BTW, Betty loves her new potholders, etc.

BTW II, I am almost finished with all my left over strings. yahoo
Hugs,
Gerry

Sue-Anne said...

Both Log Cabins are gorgeous and I love the layout - so different from normal. I often wonder about the lives of the women who made all those beautiful old quilts too.

Karen said...

I like your little doll quilt. The small size of the logs adds to its charm.

Lori said...

I love your little reproduction! Your hand quilting really makes it nice.

Jackie said...

I like both of them Mayleen; and of course I like the log cabin. It is one of my favorite quilts.

Marie said...

50 years from now - "wow, this quilt is fantastic. Someone really knew how to put her feelings into her quilts and the stitching fits the quilt - graceful and elegant. This person must have been a kind, beautiful person."

Marie

Red Geranium Cottage said...

I love a log cabin quilt. You never get tired of them. And your little one......adorable!!!!!