Translate

Friday, January 30, 2015

Trip Around the Prairie

No finishes this week but here's an update on the progress I'm making on my latest UFO!


Do you have a UFO that for whatever reason you don't like anymore?


This was my Pine Burr (also called Target and Bullseye) quilt that I was no longer liking. It just wasn't turning out the way I'd envisioned so I took it apart.


I decided to reuse the Prairie Points in a new project. I ended up cutting more fabric to make even more Prairie Points and have no idea if they'll all get used. I thought I'd planned out the color placement and how many Prairie Points I'd need for each color but I'm changing my mind (often).

One of the things I didn't like about my Pine Burr blocks was that my circles were going wonky and I couldn't line up the Prairie Points to keep them even. 


A square or rectangle was my choice because I could draw lines on the foundation fabric to help me line up the triangle bases. I would also be able to space the Prairie Points more evenly. When I realized I was making a "Trip Around the World" with Prairie Points, I decided to name it "Trip Around the Prairie".


Here I'm trying to decide the direction I should take in the next round of colors. As usual, I'm short on lighter value fabrics because I tend to purchase medium and darker value fabrics. I'm considering using the floral fabric on the left for the borders. The colors in this photo are a little more intense than in real life.

Even with the placement lines drawn on the foundation fabric, it has been a bit of a challenge to keep the design from going wonky. Lots of measuring and adjusting after each row! It will definitely not be perfect.

I'd like to finish this wallhanging in the next week or so because I'm already planning which UFO to work on next! Below is part of "Pumpkin Peel" from the book, Small Pieces, Spectacular Quilts, written by Mary Elizabeth Kinch and Biz Storms.


I think I have almost half the pumpkin peels paper foundation pieced. I'd like to applique them on red solid background fabric. Recently I saw this same design on a cheddar background. Mine won't be hand quilted like hers is but I'm considering using a striped binding if I can find one that will work!

Until next time,
Mayleen

No comments: