Translate

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Mustard & Ketchup Border 1


Finally, the first border of Mustard and Ketchup, maybe. As soon as I was done pressing the back side, I flipped it over and realized I'd sewn the last border on upside down. Since the small pattern red fabric is directional, its noticeable. I'm trying to decide if I can live with it or not. I think there are a lot of things I'm going to have to learn to live with in this quilt!

I didn't start quilting until 2000 because I felt I couldn't be an accurate enough piecer. A good example are the above borders. Yes, I measure, measure and measure again before I stitch and trim. I've considered becoming an improvisational quilter but I can't be inaccurate enough! 

I was able to decrease the amount of border length discrepancy but there will still be issues when I add the next border. Looks like this will be another opportunity for a quilt judge to say, "Long lines must be straight." I'm assuming short lines should be straight too, lol.

Are you wondering which quilt I'm trying to reproduce?

Dawn at Collector With a Needle has written about the Denver Art Museum's exhibit, http://denverartmuseum.org/exhibitions/first-glance-second-look-quilts-denver-art-museum-collection, of more than twenty quilts. If you follow Dawn's link, she's included several pictures of the Competition Quilt which is the inspiration for my Mustard & Ketchup quilt. The maker of the quilt is unknown but after making it through only the first border, I have a deep respect for her and what she was able to accomplish without modern quilting tools!

Until next time, Mayleen

6 comments:

Lara B. said...

Mayleen, you could fool me when you are finished - your quilt looks antique! Mustard and Ketchup - I love everything about it!

Every Stitch said...

Oh goodness - just found the quilt you are reproducing! It looks like you have a lot of piecing to come. I think your work is beautiful so far and am sure the antique has a bunch more 'discrepancies' and is still magnificent!

Carole~Quilter on the hill said...

Love your mustard and ketchup quilt! The colours are just amazing.

Karen said...

Keep going, this is going to be beautiful.

Sue Jennings said...

Your quilt is looking stunning! The original looks incredibly intricate...a definite heirloom project!

Wanda - Scraphappy Blended Quilter said...

WOW! I like your block - the color and design are awesome! What an inspiration from the original too. I cannot IMAGINE if you are planning to do all that piecing. WOW! It is going to be phenomenal - what you have done already is! (on this project and the others you completed). I enjoy seeing it. Thanks for sharing your artistry!