I didn't accomplish as much as I'd hoped for this past week. Would you believe that one border took me one whole day?!? Without a pattern there was a lot of trial and error, mostly error for a little while!
Originally, I wanted to paper foundation piece the border and cornerstone because I thought it would be more accurate. I soon gave up on piecing the diamonds that way, very fiddly.
Here's that first border which I strip pieced. I was so happy that I'd finished it and it looked fairly good until I measured it. It's 3/16 of an inch too long. I don't want to make it over so I'm going to try stitching a slightly deeper seam between the diamonds. If that doesn't work, I'm going to try to block it smaller.
I cut out the rest of the pieces for the three other borders from the red Jinny Beyer fabric. This is all of it that I have left but guess what, I still need it to make the star cornerstones.
How tiny are those pieces? Keep reading and please forgive my sadly lacking camera skills.
I'm pretty sure I need a new cutting mat. Because I don't have much of that red fabric, the star legs are going whatever way I could get fabric to fit.
That's how tiny those star cornerstones are - 2 inches, OK, due to my piecing approximately 2 inches square. I have never made a star that tiny and am glad I'll only be making a total of four.
Here it is, so far - the star medallion which I won't trim until I have all the diamond borders and star cornerstones ready to stitch to it. The fabric on the left is being auditioned for the next few borders.
Every time I look at my quilt colors, I think of mustard and ketchup. Come to think of it, a hot dog (I like them burnt) with mustard, ketchup and relish sounds pretty good right now!
Until next time, Mayleen