Translate

Monday, August 2, 2010

Getting Serious about the Stash

Last week was not so good on the sewing front. I got a few more spiderweb selvage quilt block units finished and a few more started. I'm not sure what happened but I didn't have much ambition to sew.

Toward the end of the week, I received a package of selvages from Barb which helped get me back in the mood so many thanks to Barb!

I've redoubled my efforts to sew down my stash and have decided to cut 2 1/2 inch strips from my older fabrics in an effort to use them up or at least reduce the number of them. So far, I've only made it through the tub of green fabrics.

I recently saw a picture of this scrappy bargello quilt and I think I'll use the strips to make it. I especially like this Christmas version and this one too! Plans could change though. I've never really done much in the way of strip sewing.


I've admired the lovely clamshells the ladies in the Clamshell Club are making and I've finally given in! As I cut strips, I put the fabric on the stack to await marking and cutting clamshells. I have a few marked already and will use my evenings to cut out the pieces. It will probably take me quite some time to get anywhere on the strip quilt and the clamshell quilt but I'm working toward them.

Below is a photo of my older fabric "stash". Not so pretty to look at! The majority of this fabric is 10-20 years old. I'm sharing the photo with you because I want you to hold me accountable! Use it or lose it is my motto. If I haven't used it by late winter next year, I plan to donate it to the Kansas MCC sale's Quilter's Corner.

This may not seem like a lot of fabric to some of you but its taking up space that I could use for my newer fabrics and my sewing room is not large. Confession - There's also fabric in the closet but some of it is more suitable for clothing or curtain construction. I'll deal with them another time.

I'm expecting the bridesmaid dress fabric to arrive anytime so probably not much quilting time for me for a few weeks. I'll pop in every now and then to let you know how things are going!

5 comments:

Michele said...

Welcome to Clamshell Hell!!!! Just kidding (sorta). Prepping 'em is easy, it's the next part that has me quaking in my boots. Michele

FlourishingPalms said...

You have good ambitions! I did what you're doing... a couple years ago. Went through all old fabrics. The ones I knew I would never use I cut into strips and squares, intending to make a scrappy quilt. Started sewing pieces together, and that's all the further I got. I'm terrible about follow-through. I will be watching your blog for MY inspiration!

Marie said...

What admirable goals you have (and such large ones). I have to set much smaller goals so I can see success more often or I get really discouraged and then everything goes to . .

Hugs - Marie

Barb said...

I'm glad that you got the selvages.
have fun

Lori said...

It sure seems like our fabrci gets old fast!! I have a bunch of oldies too that I'd love to use up or get rid of!!
Good luck on your goals.