Translate

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Sewing project update

Just an update on my sewing projects - my daughter's bridesmaid dress and my blouse. I've sewn in the invisible zipper, altered the side seams numerous times, replaced the bodice because of a pulled thread in the fabric and basted in the chiffon sleeves twice but now I'm at a standstill because my daughter has come down with the flu! I still need to line the dress and do a rolled hem (another first).

The dress is still not fitting as well as I'd like but we've decided to not push it further. My sewing rule is that I will take apart things only three times and after that leave it. I find that after that many times of picking seams apart, the fabric is deteriorating and the results of further picking out and resewing will usually not improve.

I needed a lot of M&Ms this past week! You will notice they are not in Roy G Biv order. When stressful times arise, I'm not too concerned with the color wheel! I shouldn't be eating all those M&Ms if I want to fit into my blouse so a prayer request for me - please pray that God will give me the wisdom and skill to finish the bridesmaid dress and that it will fit well and look good.

So not being able to sew any further on my daughter's bridesmaid dress until she feels better, I've been working on my blouse. I decided to make it in the matte side of a teal colored polyester Charmeuse fabric and save the bright pink fabric for another project. This fabric is not normally one I would choose because I don't like shiny fabrics and it can be difficult to sew. A challenge but so far, so good.

Vogue classified this pattern as "Easy" and perhaps it would have been if I hadn't altered the size and lined it. Click on the link to see the blouse view I'm making with the draped front and no collar. After I sew on the front facing, I'll be ready to insert the 3/4 length sleeves. Finally, the hem treatment and some handwork, a good going over and a final pressing. I will probably need another full day of sewing with no interruptions before its finished so that means at least two normal days around here!

I am trying to read a few blogs every day but am unfortunately, not able to keep up on answering everyone's comments. I have only a week and a half to finish the dress and blouse so am fully focused on those two projects.

Looking forward very much to sewing mostly straight lines on cotton fabrics! Be back to quilting soon, Mayleen

4 comments:

Barb said...

good luck on finishing! Looking forward to seeing the finished projects -

Marie said...

Oh Mayleen - we have missed you. I wish things were going better on the sewing front for you. I find sewing clothes to be far too stressful. (Although there is a simple Caftan pattern that I really, really want to try and I have just the perfect fabric.)

Hugs - Marie

Betty said...

I was thinking about you yesterday and was wondering were you have been. Your blouse pattern is lovely and I am sure your finished product will be great. You will need to model it for us.

FlourishingPalms said...

I love seeing that you're trying, Maylene! Not very many people sew garments anymore, and that you're attempting a few techniques that are new to you is extremely admirable. Keep plugging away. And it's just fine to make your prayer request... maybe plural, "requests"... that the M&Ms don't do too much damage! Temptation, away with thee!