Translate

Friday, July 17, 2020

Star stitching & the flowers in my backyard

I've begun stitching in a ditch on the "Wish Upon a Feathered Star" wall hanging. I decided I really must get over my fear of machine quilting. I've tried before but with disastrous results and am currently thinking of a project I need to pick out teeny tiny stitches. Yes I know the key to learning to machine quilt is to practice. So I'm trying again and will only use my walking foot. This is not a fast project.

Yesterday I needed some mindless sewing so I pulled out the red/pink and white/tan 2 1/2" squares I'd been cutting from scraps. Paired them up and ran them through the machine. I don't know what they will become but probably 4 patches. It was fun to work on something different even though it was a very simple patch.

Mornings you will find me outside watering, weeding, or digging in my flower beds. Here's a little tour of what's been blooming this past week!

The white hardy Hibiscus finally began blooming!

The pink hardy Hibiscus continues to put out new blooms each morning.

This is the first spring for the native flower rock garden I planted. I put too much in too small of an area and some plants will be moving next year. This is just one small corner.

My wash tub and wringer looking decidedly prettier than in its original use.

Two varieties of Anise Hyssop which bees were supposed to love but they seem to be more interested in most other flowers than the hyssop!

Blanket Flower, pink Yarrow, and Vervain

This is my first year at trying to grow Lavender (back left) and it has one bloom. Parsley and Patchouli are the other two container plants.

I do like flowers to appear a little overgrown! Next spring some of the Brown Eyed Susans will be moving because they're trying to take over.

Every year I think the tall phlox are so pretty but I think they've outdone themselves this year!

Until next week, Mayleen

3 comments:

Sandy said...

I do a lot of machine quilting with a walking foot, and I've learned a few things along the way. When QID use the thinnest thread you can find in a color that blends, and go slow. After a few minutes you get into the Zen of it. If/when your eyes start to cross, take a break!
Your garden is beautiful !

Roxanne said...

Your garden is beautiful!

audrey said...

Good for you learning a new quilting skill. I have had disastrous results from machine quilting myself and so far haven't gathered up the courage to go after it again.:)