Translate

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Sunflowers - fabric and real

I found the sunflower fabric to use in my wallhanging! Pictures coming soon if all goes well. No pictures means hand piecing the wallhanging is not going so well.

The birds helped plant my flowerbed this year and real sunflowers are blooming in it! Here's a little tour of the side yard while its still relatively green and pretty.
These petunias were struggling to stay alive in the direct sun and heat on my west porch so I've moved them to the deck. They're doing better here but I don't expect them to last too much longer because of the heat we're expecting for the next week.

Beginning today, our high temperatures will be over 100 degrees for a week. We haven't had rain for awhile either so its very dry and if I weren't watering my flowers and trying to keep the lawn alive, most everything would be brown. The weeds, however, would be green. Is it only me or have you noticed that weeds thrive with very little moisture?

The vine climbing up our deck is Autumn Clematis. Looks great, does its job of blocking the wind, heat and dust but its also invasive. We cut it down every other year or so and it always grows back as long as you give it some water. It looks quite lush on the picture but the leaves on the other side of the vine are already turning brown.

This morning, I cut enough rhubarb to make 2 pies but again, I don't think the plants will be able to stand the heat for much longer. This is the green rhubarb which was given to me by a friend so I don't know what variety it is. Green rhubarb is supposed to be more sour than the red kind. I chop and freeze it to bake rhubarb pie, muffins and bread later.


The hibiscus flowers are wonderful this year and the bees seem to fight over the flowers! I'm glad to see the bees around because it means somewhere there's honey for someone.

Its time to move the sprinkler again so until next time, Mayleen

3 comments:

Lynette said...

I'm with you on the "green" weeds! My husband says they've adapted! Not me? I've lived in Kansas for most of my 55 years and I'm not adapting at all!! If anything I can't take the extremes anymore !! My husband also keeps bees and I'm sure they would love to see your hibiscus! No flowers here!! Enjoy the "greens" while you can!

Betty said...

I think you found the perfect sunflower for you quilt. I understand about the heat and lack of rain. We have not hardly had any rain since the first of May with many 100 plus days.

Merilyn said...

My goodness! not such great news on the temperature front for you guys - I just wonder if our coming summer will replicate yours! What you have left alive and colourful in your garden looks great!!! Goodluck with your sunflower project!!!!