Translate

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Rub-a-dub, dub

... my quilt's in the tub!

I'm trying Vicki's advice and soaking my quilt top for 12 hours in hot water with Dawn dishwashing liquid and Shout Color Catchers. This picture was taken during the rinse and I'm now repeating the hot water/detergent soak. I'll let you know later how it goes!

If you're wondering why my old saucers are also in the water, they're holding down the quilt top so its completely submerged. I'm also realizing all over again that a 50+ year old body cannot reach and stretch like it used to. Very sore muscles today but at least I didn't fall into the tub!

5 comments:

Merilyn said...

Good luck with this Mayleen!! I'll have to remember to use plates the next time I want to soak something and keep it submerged - great tip!!!!

Vicki W said...

It doesn't look like you have very much color bleeding so that's good. I had a commercial batik that I wanted to use for to recover my pressing board and decided that I should put it through the soak. It bled horribly and took 2 soak cycles to get it done. Glad I did though because that blue would have bled onto every thing that I steam pressed! lol!

Sue-Anne said...

Good luck with the quilt, my fingers are crossed that the stains come out and the bleeding issue is resolved.

Barb said...

good luck!
Do you always wash tops before quilting?

Karen said...

Very sad about the stain, my fingers are crossed it comes out.