Translate

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Yesterday ...

But first ... !


My Love Entwined - I'm starting to applique the leaves on Part 4 and have the stems and some leaves done for Part 5. I really wanted to do Broderie Perse for the flowers and leaves but the fabric I purchased just didn't look right to me. Instead, I'm fussy cutting the flowers and leaves for the applique. Because I set my LE aside to work on Phebe, I'm at least 5 parts behind and still have pieces to finish for earlier parts.


Connor's Bungle Jungle quilt is finished and is on its way to him.


I quilted it with topstitching thread which gave it the effect I like. Unfortunately, there are a lot of not so straight quilting lines. My other learning moment - I should have used a polyester batting instead of the cotton batting. It was very evident after I took it out of the dryer that this quilt will never look this smooth again unless its ironed.


Other news - My Selvage Star of Bethlehem has gone to Jan, the machine quilter. The fabric I chose for the backing is the red and white leaf print in the picture below. I tried to straighten those pointy corners but decided to see what they look like once it's finished. Maybe (likely) I was just really tired the day I made that decision and decided not to mess with it!


Do any of you read the magazine, "Quilt Life"? I normally don't but was glancing through it at Barnes & Noble and was surprised to see the vintage inspiration quilt on P. 78 of the May, 2014 issue! I had been making my selvage version based on an internet picture so it was interesting to read more about the original quilt. 

OK, so yesterday ...


Can you guess?

Until next time,
Mayleen

5 comments:

Heather said...

Your LE is looking great. Can't wait to see what Di Ford quilt you are planning next. I am looking longingly at the Antique Wedding Sampler but there are so many good ones in that book it is hard to choose!

Karen said...

I just love your colors in LE. And I just got Di's book from the library so I've been drooling. Such beauties!

FlourishingPalms said...

Your selvages quilt is SO pretty! I hope you'll show more detailed photos of it when you get it back from the quilter. I'd love to see some close-ups of the selvages... to see if you pieced them to remove the plain areas; to see how much extra fabric you left showing; and to see the brands and celebrity names on your quilt. Such a gorgeous thing you've created!

Carole~Quilter on the hill said...

I love your version of LE, great choice of background fabric. I'm guessing you might make Rotherfield Greys.

audrey said...

Love your Selvage Star of Bethlahem--wonderful! And your LE is gorgeous.