Sunday, November 10, 2013

Guess where I've been?

I took a bus tour to the Houston Quilt Festival!

Day One: Long bus ride from Wichita to our hotel in Houston. Believe it or not, my husband has agreed to go with me.

Day Two: Stuck in traffic (I think its safe to say that I will never drive in Houston!) Quilters in line to get into the arena are doing a countdown and we all surge in. I don't think its too crowded until I stop to use the restroom and then its, "Where did all these women come from?!?" The arena is the equivalent of 5 football fields - one for the food court, two for the vendors and two for the quilt show. Shopping, oh yes! I have a list of vendors I want to visit. I enjoy meeting several bloggers and shop owners I'm familiar with. We make it only half way through all the vendors before we decide to take a break. We saw many beautiful quilts and I will probably share more pictures later. Husband finds the Men's Lounge with chaises and TV tuned to the sports channel. Back at the hotel, my legs and feet are so tired! Can one possibly prepare oneself for walking 7 hours on thinly carpeted concrete floors?

Day Three: Yes, repeat day two. Spend more money and never see the absolutely essential quilting gadgets other tour members find. We find the Starbucks on the arena's second level and relax on the sun roof. Look at more quilts. Take more pictures of quilts. Husband visits Men's Lounge.

Day Four: Husband pleads upset stomach and stays at the hotel. I tag along with other tour members (Hi Cheryl), look at more quilts and take a few pictures. Browse through vendors again.

Day Five: Long bus trip back to Wichita. Believe it or not, my husband is willing to go to Paducah with me in spring! Maybe I just caught him at a weak moment, LOL.

The house is still standing, the cats haven't destroyed my plants, its good. We collapse in our own bed.
I am motivated to finish Phebe so I can start a new pattern I purchased in Houston.

No, I'm not going to show it to you yet but I've been wanting to make it for a long time. If you know me, you know I like quilts with a lot of pieces. Just a hint.

my husband was the first to have the flu/cold symptoms. Apparently, someone on the trip decided to share it with us and I am now down with it too. So, no guild meeting for me this week and I'll try to work on Phebe as I have energy and between the sneezing and nose blowing. Lots of embroidery going on!

Until next time, Mayleen


  1. Thanks for the pics of Houston, your husband sounds like a real trooper? love the idea of the Men's Lounge lol. Are you going to another Di Ford?? Maybe the Morrell or the Antique Wedding Sampler?

  2. It was so nice to meet you in Houston. Thanks for stopping by our booth :) and so sorry you brought the flu home with you.

  3. Sounds like a busy and full few days!!!! It must have been wonderful to go to such a huge event! A few weeks ago I went to the annual Brisbane Quilt Show, very small by comparison, all the vendors and quilts in around 5 hours!! Regardless of the size, there is much inspiration to be had...... Hope you get over your nasty flu bug soon....

  4. Oh that's my dream attend a huge quilt festival like Houston! But with my BFF who taught me how to quilt, not that my husband wouldn't go I just know that Jean and I would have a much better time. ;)
    Did you meet any fabric designers?
    So sorry to hear you picked up a bug, get well soon. At least you were able to be sick, at home in your own bed. I just hate not having my own bed to curl up in when I feel so yucky!!

  5. How fabulous to get to go! I lived in Galveston for 4 years in the early 90's...I went every year! I remember the size of George R. Brown very well...AND remember the tired legs and feet! This is my first visit to your blog, but it won't be my last! I can't wait to come back and see your Phebe...I SO want to do that quilt some day! It looks like you are doing some fantastic things! Teresa :o)

  6. So glad you got to go to this show. Everyone should, one time in their lives. Once was enough for me! Sorry you got sick afterward, though.