Translate

Friday, April 29, 2011

Clamshell Update

I've picked it up again!


Thanks to a few questions from Jan at the latest Prairie Quilt Guild meeting about my clamshell progress, I've started hand piecing it again. The middle diamond block is my latest finish which makes it block #10. I was sure it was block #11 but after a fruitless search in my sewing room for an errant block, I've decided that was wishful thinking!


Here are all the blocks I've finished so far on my design wall. Ten blocks finished, only 8 more full blocks, 10 half blocks and 4 quarter blocks to go. After that there's a narrow sashing to hand stitch between the blocks and finally borders to add.

In other words, this is a long term project. As I see it, I have two choices. Either I can decide to make it a wall hanging instead of a queen size quilt or I can persevere but I may have to take it to the nursing home when I move there! Just kidding, I hope to have it done much sooner.

Other news: I have finished the wolf! He is generating a little bit of a love/hate relationship with everyone who sees him. I'm afraid the sentiment is running to the "spooky" side. Pictures coming soon!

11 comments:

Deb said...

It's beautiful, I can't imagine how much work/time you've already spent on it and the time you'll still need to complete it...but in the end it will be well worth it!

Jan Hutchison said...

Ah hah - it's all my fault! I say go for it, make it queen sized, it will be spectacular. Beautiful work!

Jen said...

It's looking fabulous! It's really grown since I last remember it. It's going to be so gorgeous when you finish!

FlourishingPalms said...

Mayleen, you simply do the nicest stuff! I can't think of one thing that you've made that doesn't suit my taste in quilting. These clamshells are simply wonderful, and that you've hand-pieced them... impressive. Really, really grand. I haven't gotten my RRCB finished yet, though the quilt center is put together. Now I'm doing some machine quilting, and cutting out more shapes for "starfish" blocks to hand-piece. Wouldn't it be nice if we could just sit down with a cuppa and our handwork and have a good long chat? One of these days...

Barb said...

hooray, this is such a great project!

Merilyn said...

Your clamshells are looking really good! I'd persevere if you can stand it, this would be a lovely bed quilt and a wonderful family heirloom!!!
Look forward to seeing the wolf!

Marie said...

Mayleen - this is so beautiful. i love the colors and the pattern. You are so talented.

Hugs - marie

grendelskin said...

Your clamshells look fabulous! Please do share the process when you do the borders, I'm curious. Keep it up, it's an heirloom-in-waiting.

grendelskin said...

p.s. - I want to see that wolf! Sometimes spooky is good, especially when the character has "Big" and "Bad" as part of his name!

Karen said...

Very beautiful!

Cathi said...

Your clamshell quilt is going to be so stunning! Love the colours!