Borders #1 and #2 were what I thought would be the easiest borders on the Phebe quilt. Ha.
Oh sure, the first border is easy but its only 1/2 inch wide and I know its not on straight or even or ... but I can live with it.
Border #2 was fairly easy applique except for the berries and most definitely those mitered corners. I lost track of how many days I worked on them but they're done!
Unfortunately, I put my "mark of ownership" on the bottom Border #2. Remember the "Measure twice, cut once" saying? Well, I measured at least twice and probably more like 5 times. Put my measuring tape down, picked up my rotary cutter and ruler and trimmed the border an inch too short. I still don't know how I did it. Anyway, I pieced it since I didn't want to redo the applique and don't think it will be very noticeable.
As you can see, I've started paper piecing the dogtooth border #3. I'm trying to convince myself that I like the fabric and am not succeeding. I'm using Baltimore Album by Mary Koval but it looks too neon pink to me so I tried to tone it down with some burgundy fabric I had. I don't think its working very well. The Baltimore Album fabric is the third fabric try, everything else looks dull and flat when I put it next to the center block.
Above the block are some of the Ohio Stars I've been piecing. They're a little brighter too so maybe the dogtooth border fabric will work. And then again, maybe not.
Tomorrow is quilt guild day so I'll put this project up tonight and just think about it till Wednesday. Maybe the quilting fairy will pay a visit to my sewing room and solve my color issues!
If you aren't familiar with the Phebe quilt pattern, here is a photo of the complete quilt. You can see I have quite a ways to go!
Until next time, Mayleen