Translate

Friday, June 18, 2021

What's on my sewing desk?

 

 

Seed Packet is actually on the design wall right now but earlier today it was on my sewing desk as I stitched together the small squares border on the right side. Unfortunately, my 1/4" seam does not match the seams in body of the quilt and I have some unpicking and resewing to do. It really shouldn't take too long to fix as in days and days but I'm simply avoiding getting started. 

With all the packing to get ready for the remodel, I came across these linens which now set on my sewing desk. There are some doilies, embroidered pillow cases, tablecloths, and I think I see my a potholder my mom made when she was in school. I know there is more of this kind of stuff in the closet behind the design wall. For years now I've been thinking of cutting squares of the embroidery out of the linens and piecing them into a wall hanging or small quilt. There are just too many quilt project ideas in my brain!

Here's another example in another corner of my sewing desk. Years ago, I collected cotton shirts which I took apart and planned to use in a quilt. Occasionally I'd use a little of the fabric in a project but mostly the shirts rested in a box. A few weeks ago, I saw a quilt made up using shirt fabric. I decided to make it. This is as far as I got before SQUIRREL! I think I'll just put those shirts back into their box until the next time I get inspired.


This is an ongoing, may never be finished, sentimental project on my desk. Every time my family gets together, we sign this tablecloth with washable markers. Then I embroider the names and launder it so that the tablecloth is ready for the next use. What really happens is that I put off embroidering until right before we get together again. Unless plans change, everyone is coming home for the July 4th holiday which means I better get that embroidery done!

 Our high temperatures have been way too hot for me this week. After coming dangerously close to overheating while working in the yard, I've cut back to just watering and light weeding until the heat and humidity break. The older I get, the less I like extreme temperatures. Something I'm thankful every year about this time is air conditioning!

Until next time, Mayleen

1 comment:

cityquilter grace said...

all lovely and worthwhile projects ahead of you...easy to get distract with so much opportunity lying around...lol